Cholera outbreak: 908 400 suspected cases and 2192 deaths have been reported since 27 April 2017.
world’s worst cholera outbreak.
WHO’s access to Yemen stopped.
UN humanitarian chief Stephen O’Brien on June 22 described the cholera outbreak in Yemen as a “man-made catastrophe”
“WHO and the other humanitarian agencies need immediate and unhindered humanitarian access to Yemen”, said WHO Executive Director for Emergencies Dr Peter Salama. “The country is still facing the world’s largest cholera outbreak and 7 million people are on the brink of famine, including some two million severely malnourished children. If we can’t bring food and medical supplies into Yemen we will not be able to save people’s lives.”
WHO was prevented from delivering 250 tonnes of medical supplies via sea. The supply ship could not leave Djibouti as previously planned because of the closure of Yemen’s Al-Hudaydah’s port. The ship was carrying surgical kits, anaesthesia machines, infant incubator sets, water purification tablets and other essential supplies.
The closure of the ports will also affect the response to the cholera outbreak. As of 5 November, a total of 908 400 suspected cases and 2192 deaths have been reported since 27 April 2017 in 22 of 23 governorates. “We have made progress and there have been fewer deaths from cholera but we will suffer a major setback if we don’t have full access to all affected areas”, said Dr Zagaria.